Sunday, January 29, 2012

Music Teaching Books

This book was a help for my Homeschooler's Music Appreciation Class, ages 7 - 12.
It covers many composers with a reading on each and a quiz to help students remember the important topics for each composer.

In this class, we did a lot of listening to the works of the composers.  I had some music of my own.  The library has CDs to help or you could use iTunes.
 
An introduction to the Musical Era - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century... accompanied the works of the composers.  We learned about the musical styles, countries, what was happening in history at that time, even what clothing was worn.

Fun activities such as;  drawing or painting while listening to pieces, sand art, movement, and making our own instruments of that time gave the kids something to bring home and enjoy.  I am also a fan of Lapbooks.

Young Scholar's Guide to ComposersA Young Scholar's Guide to Composers
Melissa E. Craig and Maggie S. Hogan
from The Baroque Period - The Contemporary Period
Each Period has several composers' biographies with Note-Taking Pages

No comments:

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...