Friday, February 10, 2012

Winter Songs: Roll It, A Chubby Little Snowman

Roll It!..  
"You have to roll it and roll it and roll it round and round..." Not sure I can post the words because of copyright.  I suppose you could make up your own song to a familar tune just for this fun activity.)   Make 3 fabric snowballs stuffed with either polyfill, plastic shopping bags or crunched up  newspaper ~Great for tactile learners.  Of course, you will need to make one large, one medium, one small; as you are going to sing a song about making a snowman. 

Ok, I found the book in the files I never look at.  The song is called "Roll Up the Snow". Northern Music Co., 1963.  Wow.  My aunt passed along this book to me when I started student teaching.
I researched this book online and found nothing.  I research the writer, Helen Horn aka Pretty Penny who is from New Britain, CT...and found nothing.  Apparently she was well known and an influence on young children and music.

A Chubby Little Snowman
Traditional Song
c   c      c   e e   g       e      f     f   f   e    d
A chubby little snowman had a carrot nose
c c      e        e g  e    e      f        f   f     e    d
along came a bunny and what do you suppose

c      c     c     e  e  g   e    d     d     d   e    f    
that hungry little bunny looking for his lunch
low g  d    d      d      e         f    f   f
he      ate that snowman's carrot nose
e             d          c
crunch, crunch, crunch!
(I use felt snowmen with carrots and a stuffed bunny to act out the song on a flannel board.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen Horn was my father's first cousin and my cousin. she was a wonderful woman. taught elementary school and wrote childrens songs. when she was working the album for the songbook, she and her sister Shirley, and my father, Allan, would get together on weekends and sing the songs, working out arrangements and phrasing. songs. i believe they taped them. it might have been in preparation for pitching to DECCA. I will ask my Dad what he remembers. He is the last one still livingat 87. glad to find you post.

Patty said...

Thank you for your comment... love the background information! I still have the songbook and refer to it to find songs now and then.

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...