Thursday, January 1, 2015

Create the Music for a Picture Book

Part 1



I am introducing a new idea to my piano students this coming month.  I believe some of my students will love this project.

Have your student bring in a picture book or short story that they love.  Each week, discuss parts of the story where music would enhance the scene.  (I write music for a theater company, so this is dear to my heart. )

For some students, the melody or harmony could be real simple and you as the teacher provide an accompaniment; others will be glad to write the whole composition.  Of course, this is not meant to be painstaking, and it should be very, very short anyway, such as; four - eight measures on each scene... not all scenes need music.  For homework, they could listen to some of John Williams music or watch a cartoon and listen to the dynamic of the music.

Discuss the timbre of sounds on the piano,  (lows, highs, louds, softs...),  to get the student thinking.  How do the sounds set a mood or sound like a character?   

More on this later...



No comments:

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...