Wednesday, July 29, 2015


In teaching 7 - 8th graders guitar, it is important they have a folder with a guitar chord list and a bunch of folk songs and popular songs to enjoy. Making sure these songs go in order of the chords you are introducing.   Many songs can be played with just 3 chords.

I like to introduce the 'easiest to play' chords first.  Such as E and A.

I also introduce melody on the guitar.  It's not all about chords.  Chords can be difficult and uncomfortable and frustrating for some.  So, I like to balance it with learning the notes/steps on each string.  Alfred series has a good book.
For printing a chord chart, check out this site:  www.chordguide.com  It lets you select the chords you want to print.
Print out the chords you will need on one sheet... Add a small box next to each chord.  As you teach the chords and the students learn them, check off the box.  You could also make up an incentive sheet that would motivate the students to learn their chords.

You will be surprised at the singing that happens.  They are so focused on the playing, singing just enters in.



(c) 2003 ChordGuide.com All Rights Reserved

No comments:

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...