Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mr. Potato Head Helps With Practice



Practice, practice...
Have you seen the Potato Head app?   Well, I don't use an iPad in my studio, yet.   So I took the idea and made a template.
The motivation is to "Make a face!"  Each time the student plays a hard measure or phrase, have them add a piece to the Mr. Potato Head face.  After playing the measure or phrase six times, they will have built the face and improved those difficult places to play in the music.
Just print this template, cut out pieces, laminate.  You could add magnets to the back if you are using a magnetic board, or use velcro on the back (and front of the potato), adding the pieces to a felt board.  Or it could be used as a worksheet for the individual student, using glue to add pieces and then taking home the project as a reminder to practice those measures or phrases a little extra.
I like to use this template with my preschoolers, but also works with any age.
I think more choices of eyes, ears, nose, mouth, hats would be fun.  I will work on that.

No comments:

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...