Sunday, August 5, 2012

Attention, please!

What's this?

20 Ways to Keep Your Students' Attention | Minds in Bloom
This looks interesting.  With the way media is today and video games and everything flashing at kids.... I sometimes feel I need to move quickly.  And I do. 

Here are a couple ideas from www.minds-in-bloom.com.  They sound fun!

Desk Switch: Students have ten seconds (count down from ten) to find another desk to sit in that is in a different part of the room than his or her normal desk. Students stay in that desk for the rest of the lesson. Why? Two reasons, first switching desks gets them up and moving. Second, sitting in a different place in the classroom will give them a different perspective and wake up their brains a bit.

Position Switch: Have students turn their chairs around and sit straddling the chair with their hands resting on the back (girls in dresses can sit side-saddle). While good sitting is important, a few minutes of sitting differently can keep kids alert. Another idea is to let kids sit on their desks with their feet on their chairs (which they will love!)

Throw students a foam ball when calling on them to answer a question. 

Have students explain something they just learned in partners. 

I'm going to try it. 

No comments:

How many times have I been asked,  "How do I get my child to practice?" Too many times!   I believe it helps ...